The German-Canadian Benevolent Society was founded in 1965 by a small group of dedicated German immigrants under the leadership of Frau Elisabeth Ochs (1903 – 1990). They raised money to create a home for German seniors who needed care and companionship. The home joined the provincial long-term residential care program in 1978, and expanded and improved its range of services.
The German-Canadian Care Home was built on its present site at 2010 Harrison Drive in 1969. Over the years it has undergone numerous renovations and upgrades to enhance its environment and incorporate new technology. The Society is now mobilizing to redevelop the entire home by 2020.