Since 1965 the German-Canadian Benevolent Society of British Columbia has been caring for seniors by raising funds and erecting the present buildings. We are proud of our unwavering commitment to quality and a track record of innovation in complex care. As a public care home we appreciate our collaboration with our partners in B.C.’s healthcare community.
Through diligent maintenance and ongoing improvement of the current care home we continue to provide a positive living environment to our residents.
We are working towards the development of a new, state-of-the-art home that will enhance our ability to provide high quality services and innovative care to future residents.
The German-Canadian Benevolent Society was founded in 1965 by a small group of dedicated German immigrants under the leadership of Frau Elisabeth Ochs (1903 – 1990). They raised money to create a home for German seniors who needed care and companionship. The home joined the provincial long-term residential care program in 1978, and expanded and improved its range of services.
The German-Canadian Care Home was built on its present site at 2010 Harrison Drive in 1969. Over the years it has undergone numerous renovations and upgrades to enhance its environment and incorporate new technology. The Society is now mobilizing to redevelop the entire home by 2020.